Tuesday, June 28, 2011

spicy lemon shrimp

Well this week will mark the 5 year anniversary of the restaurant! It is SO HARD to believe that we have survived that long. Caleb & I are not normally the sentimental type but this week I have been a bit overwhelmed with what 5 years really means... 

...we lose weight & hair...but the smiles are still there!

They say that in most things in life, once you get past the 5th year, things start to even out. They become a bit more predictable & anxiety levels drop immensely. Whether it be a relationship, a job, a business, a pet, a child... (ok, maybe not a child- what do I know!) but life tends to become a bit easier & less stressful. It's figured out. They say in the restaurant world, once you have arrived at the 5 year mark- you have survived! So, in honor of our survival... and, I suppose, for sentiments sake, I decided this week to reflect on a few of the random things that have happened in the restaurant over the past 5 years. 

Today, I am reflecting on the Host Stand. The Control Center, if you will. I would be FLAT OUT lying if I said that nothing worthwhile ever happens at the host stand. Sure, we look composed & pleasant when you walk in the front door... or sound calm & collected when we answer the phone... but what you don't see is all the little side "games" that are going on at the same time. All the 'loss of sanity' moments when we have nowhere else to go but there! Now honestly, I could write a book titled "The Host Stand". Maybe someday (in all my spare time) I will. But for now, these are the pictures that came as a result of breaking an all time record of covers served. some random night. at the host stand... And the result of losing precious sanity amidst the conquest!



The side game that occured this particular evening was a bet at how many covers we were going to actually do. All bets must be placed by 5.00p. Written in pen. Must be closest without going over. Just like Price is Right. Yours truly happened to win the bet on this glorious evening... So I got to collect my winnings at the end of the night...

a Courtney sandwich

Not too shabby for a night at the HOST STAND...


1 comment: