Sunday, March 27, 2011

A Hard Day's Night

So I may have mentioned before... but living in the restaurant world is about the opposite of everyone else's world. Most Americans crave 5.00p Friday evening because it means their work week is over! Once that clock hits 5, say hello to a whole 2.5 days of freedom to "choose" what you want to do. (yes, even an evening away from work DEFINITELY counts as half a day!) In the restaurant world, however, Friday & Saturday are GAME TIME! This weekend was no different than any other in the restaurant. Friday lunch was madness. I sat in my office and watched the parking lot go from no cars @ 11.30a to 100 cars @ 12.00p. The lunch crowd really loves to space it out! Down to the restaurant floor I go...Wham, bam, thank you maam.... 111 people later it is 2.00p, I am sweating, the servers are about to cry, and my manager is asking, "what just happened." : ) But we don't think about sitting down because we have to clean it all up and re-set everything for round 2, dinner! 7.5 hours later @ 11.30p I walk home (so thankful it's just next door!) and settle on to the couch with my hubby & my bully & a glass of wine. Another successful Friday!

Saturday happened about the same way... Sunny skies, 5k race in the Village bringing hundreds of participants to run to fight hunger & then indulge at the restaurant once their finished... ha. I found the irony a bit amusing...

Unfortunately with the sunny skies came a sick call- no host! So the first hour of my day (at home) involves calling & texting & leaving messages to try to find a host within the hour... Quick, get a shower & run in to work while managing to re-arrange the morning schedule... Never a predictable day.

BUT, I am not complaining... I LOVE the Saturday lunch crowd. Laid back, a lot of out-of-towners, no rush, no business, ready for us to entertain them....Just as busy as Friday but not quite as intense. It makes it a little easier to face the dinner crowd. 

My most amusing story from the shift however is rather sarcastic... I had a woman send back her panko chicken, twice. The first time it was cold. Ok, that's fair enough. We are happy to admit a mistake and fix the problem. The second time, it was because it had honey on it. When I politely explained to her that the panko chicken always has honey on it, she proceeded to tell me she has "eaten it hundreds of times and it has never had honey." Over the past 5 years not a day has gone by without us putting honey on the panko chicken... Inside I know that. However, at this point, I don't know which card to pull?? Definitely not the owner one. So I smile and reply that I am happy to take it back & have the kitchen prepare the chicken again without honey. Then courteously remind her that next time she is in to just let her server know that she would appreciate her chicken sans honey.... : )

AND THEN comes Saturday night- I LOVE LOVE Saturday night. Same laid back crowd, no business, ready to be entertained! And this is how we entertained tonight:

Lamb 3 Ways



But, if there is one thing I must admit it is- one of the reasons I love Saturday is because I know it is followed by Sunday! : ) After the rush & the chaos & the comps & the congrats.... there is my home, and my 2 buds. Sundays are our days. Sundays are just us.


"You know I feel okay,
When I'm home everything seems to be right,
When I'm home feeling you holding me tight."

1 comment: