Sunday, October 23, 2011

So proud of my pilot

The past 3 weeks have been slightly anxiety provoking for my diligent husband. He has been studying & training to get his pilot's license for about 8 months now. He has books thicker than any college text book; manuals with numbers that, I assume, make sense to someone; & flight coordinate applications on the computer that look like a bunch of different colored squiggles when I open up the screen. Did you know that there are over 5 different types of fog?? I always just thought it was fog. 
He has been learning another language that I listen so intently to try to understand but have merely come away with the recollection of "Charlie Tango" which is the name of his training airplane! A few weeks ago he took his 2 hour written test & passed (hooray) & then last week he took his 2 hour oral test with a flight examiner & passed! We celebrated each victory accordingly. Then that just left the actual flight component of the licensing to be completed. Obviously this component is a bit more challenging- weather conditions must work accordingly & flight plans must be filed in a timely manner. During this test he not only had to be able to recall all the verbal information needed to impress the instructor but relay that confidently while actually flying the plane. Due to the week & a half of dreary rain, his test got postponed & rescheduled 4 times! Each time provoking anxiety, nights off to study, & flight plans to be refiled. 
Finally... we had a beautiful day....




... so off he went! And 2 hours later, I got a phone call.... He passed!!!



His mentor/flight instructor was there to eagerly congratulate him when he landed as well as his examiner who rarely passes a student on their first try. I have to admit that tears came to my eyes as I sprinted to my car to make my way to the airport. He has worked so hard, & I am so proud! We celebrated with red velvet cake & sparkling lemonade!

 




 And then I got to go up for the first time with my pilot husband as his first "official" passenger! What a fun day we had... and how special it is to witness the fruits of diligence, hard work, & perseverance.


Charlie Tango.. ready for lift off! ; ) 
(or something like that)

1 comment:

  1. This is so exiting! Can't wait for my first flight with Caleb :)

    ReplyDelete