Thursday, April 14, 2011

body sculpting

After the excitement of the weekend & the recuperation (which I am still not sure has happened) reality set in quickly that there are still many immediate things that need to be done. So this week has consisted of A LOT of work. Unfortunately, it has been sun up to sun down for yours truly here. Thank goodness the sun stays out longer??? There are always seasons of life where things are balanced... or things are not. I am afraid I am experiencing the latter at the moment. It seems that no matter how much I do, there is more to be done. I am sure that many, unfortunately, feel that way. So before I got too far into the week- we hung this!

it makes me happy :)

Anyway, this week I have been trying to organize all the sales from last weeks wine event. Good thing, for sure! But 65 bottles to 15 different people with mix & match cases & adding up invoices & finding the storage space... whoa! I can tell you my guns are bigger from all the heavy lifting. ; )

I also challenged the brain a bit this week by handing out tests to all of our FOH (front of the house) staff regarding the new menu. Now before you get all judgmental- they knew it was coming! Most have succeeded with flying colors. Some have not and they will be re-taking it until they do. I feel like such a teacher (I suppose I am) sitting down to grade and critique and adorn the aces with stickers. One of my bigger pet peeves in life is when people BS something just to have an answer or talk 'dumber' than they really are... there will be none of that at this restaurant!

And on the emotional side, one of my dear servers of almost 4 years is leaving this Saturday for bigger and better. I suppose... stupid business internship! Too bad that's actually what she went to school for... she will be greatly missed. So I will plan her a goodbye party & my heart will be sad. It is hard to find good people. Even harder to hold on to good people. And hardest to let them go.

Which leads me to the next agenda this week: Finding good people. I need to hire an army to get through this next year & I will admit that I am not too excited about it. Hiring is hard. Managing is hard. Hiring someone you want to manage is a lot more difficult than it may sound. So, I have multiple interviews over the next couple weeks and we will see how they go...
Secretly, however, I do love interviewing. I love hearing what people find important enough to share with me about their life. Each person is so unique & that part of my job fascinates me. I will never get sick of interviewing.People.  Tell me, how would you answer: What will you bring to the Cerulean team?!

And lastly, the Garden! Oh, the Cerulean Garden! It opens in less than one month from today. I tasted a generous helping of potential wine candidates this week and I can tell you, there are MANY real winners. : ) Now, narrowing it down to 14 is the key... We have Torrontes, Tempranillo, Garnacha, Vinho Verde, Sauvignon Blanc, Pinot Noir, Viognier, Carmenere, Cabernet, Cava and maybe Merlot. Decisions, decisions! We also established the Cerulean Crew. If you sign up & pay up you get a Cerulean beer stein along with 4 oz of beer free every time you fill up at the Garden, oh boy!



So, I suppose, to put it lightly, that was the Cerulean week thus far. There was a brief 4 hour stint in the baby room at Headstart where I was given the rockstar shift (not sure why but I'll take it). Show up, play outside in 70 degree weather, eat lunch, read them books, rock them to sleep, exit at nap-time! Not too shabby! A nice break from the norm.

And although it has (yet again!) been a bit hectic & overwhelming, I am ready to face the weekend. This week I have been toned & shaped for life ahead, whatever that may be. Each day is new & each day is exciting. I am SO thankful for that. Upon a quick errand for Post-its & Kid's cups I ran into a chatty elderly woman in the paper supplies. After telling me of her years of owning a boat business with her husband, she concluded by saying, "everyday we wake up with purpose is a good day."

Yes, it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment