Sunday, April 10, 2011

what.a.week.

Oh how I am counting my blessings today! After waking up from a mere 5 hours of sleep last night, a huge weight was relieved from my heart after 'surviving' this week.... and today is Sunday! (have I mentioned before how much I love Sundays?!)

Upon returning from our relaxing trip south, we hit the ground running in the midwest...

Return home: Wednesday 2.00pm
Report to work: Wednesday 3.30pm

Not a lot of time to get settled! In fact, I just unpacked this morning! Anyway, straight to work to host all night, give a menu test, & look at my desk long enough to cringe, turn right around, & close the office door behind me on my way out! That would have to wait.

Thursday AM came very early as I had not made it home until midnight the night before. Oh well, no time to waste. Thursday night we had a wine tasting! A wine tasting highlighting South American Wines... for 75 people! But oh, what a time it was! We featured 15 different wines from Chile & Argentina with varietals from Sparkling to Carmenere to late harvest Chardonnay. I am sure you can imagine how "happy" our guests were by the end!

Cheese board

housemade sausage, pate, chutney, marmalade, & mostarda

Argentinean Red Wine

Argentinean White Wine

Chilean White Wine

Bubbles

Caleb studying his notes for presentation

This event was a real turning point for Cerulean. Casual, laid back, educational, & fun. The first time we had done something like this. It was such a joy to look through the crowd & see how many people came out to learn about wine, taste wine, & socialize with those who shared the same passion. Caleb & I both agreed that we would do an event like this every month if we could. We don't make any money, but that's not what is about. We give the community something fun to do on a Thursday. We expand their palates. We enjoy the community. And that is what it is all about!

A side note from this evening that made it into my top stories of the night was a group of 4 who attended the event. Caleb and I were both working different wine tables all night & at the end of the evening they ask their server, 

"Is the blond girl with the tan man on the porch?"
"Yes, she is," the server replied.
"Oh, do you know how long they have been dating?" they inquired.
The server attempted to hold back a laugh without much success and stated, "they are actually married."
And as the server walked away from the table she heard them say, 
"Well then they must be newlyweds!"

I am not sure exactly what it was that we did to lead them to feel that way. I don't think we even talked the whole night! However, I would be lying if I said that I didn't find it amusing & flattering all at the same time!

my boyfriend

The weekend continued per usual... slammed! The sun came out and so did the people! At one point on Friday I remember thinking to myself- "There may seriously not be enough hours in this day to get everything done." It was minute by minute of training & meeting & printing & quizzing & scheduling & calling & emailing & FINALLY, clearing off my desk! (poor Banks) Saturday followed suit but with nerves. It was the night we had planned to tell the staff about our newest endeavor... restaurant number 2 in Indianapolis. We had scheduled and all staff 'party' for this night. Rumors had been flying around & around...

Courtney is pregnant.
They are closing the restaurant.
They are selling the restaurant.
They are laying people off.
Cerulean got its 3-way liquor license.
Caleb & Courtney are moving.

You name it and it was probably out in circulation. (this is why we had to get EVERYONE together to tell them all at once- word travels FAST in the Cerulean life)

We brainstormed every possible question that could be asked. We played the devils advocate and tried to think of every negative way this could be perceived. We determined what we would do with the 'ifs' and 'thens' that may come our way.... and my nerves built and my prayers increased. "Please Lord, give us the words to say and then the ears to listen."

And the celebration time came...

A party is not a Cerulean party without magnums of VERY good wine!

We shared the news, we told the stories, we gave the details, we offered a toast...
...and then the roar of cheers began!
...and lasted all night!



The fear and the anxiety subsided. We were met with excitement & congratulations. The questions were positive & the ideas were flowing! The relief that came upon getting this news out in the open was indescribable. We were supported & encouraged. I could barely talk without getting choked up.  I think I made Caleb talk almost the whole time! We are so blessed.

The party lasted until 3.30am...


...and today I am renewed by the survival of another week, 
by the support of our families & friends who have stood by us,
by the enthusiasm of our staff,
by the recognition that things can go better than expected,
by the blessings that are revealed daily,
by the reminder that God is good & God is in control,
and by the divine wine that provides a great way to celebrate those moments! :)

1 comment:

  1. Great blog. I enjoy every word. Gives me a better understanding of the Cerulean life. You and Caleb do it with such grace and joy.

    ReplyDelete