Sunday, April 24, 2011

dirt, ducks, lamb, & fam


The week started quite productively by tearing out 7 bushes from our back yard. 4 trips to the dumpster, 1 broken shovel & buckets of sweat later- this was the result. Doesn't look like much! Our goal this summer is to plant a garden. Now that we have a yard, I thought, what the heck?! We'll see how the green thumb goes... Hopefully this will not be the last picture that is posted! We also decided to build a deck. Yes, a deck. More stories regarding that to follow, I am sure... 

Anyway, the week followed suit with MEGA productivity @ the restaurant. Work, work, and more work. That was my life this week.

Monday: clock in: 10a- clock out: 11p
Tuesday: clock in: 10a- clock out: 9.30p
Wednesday: clock in: 9.15a- clock out: 10p
Thursday: clock in: 11a- clock out: 11p
Friday: clock in: 10.30a- clock out: 8.30p
Saturday: clock in: 11.30a- clock out: 11.30p

LATE shifts, spilled paper clips


I don't even want to do the math on these hours because I am sure it will just be rather depressing. So, keeping an optimistic spirit I want to remember the highlights & accomplishments that occurred within those hours. (and this is not justification for them rather proof to myself that they were productive!)

  • Garden Wine list is almost complete... 3 WEEKS EARLY!
  • Summer staff is 90% decided... & it's only April! 
  • The restaurant did over 90 people every day, every shift... & it's not summer yet!
  • SOLD OUT of 2 wine specials & 2 beer specials in one week!

Great Brit beer from Fuller's- extra special bitter


  • Got out a much needed Wine Club email out to sell 4 cases of special release wine from Frog's Leap! PINK!
  •  Interviewed 4 great potential staff members & hired 3 others!
  • SURVIVED the last full week of Groupon!
And to end the restaurant saga portion of this post, this week would not be complete without the mention of Groupon... dear Groupon... I hate complaining or the thought of ever being viewed as a 'complainer' but at the risk.... Groupon holders got a little out of control this week. You see, back in October we offered 2 different deals on Groupon- $20 for $10 at lunch & $40 for $20 at dinner. The rules are explicitly stated at the time of purchase as well as on the actual printed coupon:

- Expires April 25th
- Dine-in only. Not valid for carryout.
- Use dinner only @ dinner & lunch only @ lunch
- 1 Groupon per 2 people, 2 Groupons max per table of 4 or more

Please tell me those rules are not too difficult to decipher ... However, this week I have never been made to feel more at fault over one little coupon than any other mistake we have ever made in the restaurant. The phone was ringing off the hook with customers asking for an extension or an exception or a favor. I bet at least 50 people decided to make it my problem that Groupon expires on Monday & they won't be able to redeem it by them. I literally had a lady lie to me on the phone regarding her Groupon purchase & redemption- just to convince me to allow her to come in & receive the discount Monday at lunch! Seriously?! Another woman on Thursday said she THOUGHT she MIGHT be getting sick & wouldn't be able to make it in. There were multiple 'may I speak to your manager' moments regarding Groupons & yes, even glares once the reality set in that I was not going to make an exception "just for them."

"I won't tell anyone," one customer begged.

Please! If I do it for you- what about the 30 other people I just turned down. And since when is your irresponsibility over the past 7 MONTHS all of a sudden my problem?? There was a quote that I heard some time earlier in my life that kept coming to mind all week-

"Poor planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on mine." 
I should just make a sign.

But, complaining aside, Groupon has brought in MANY new faces and repeat customers. For that, I am grateful & hopeful in the new customer base we may have established as a result. 
However... I will also be happy to walk in to work on Tuesday morning & throw the redemption book in the trash. : )

************************

Throughout the week there were also many moments of encouragement. For one: they put the piers in the canal! Oh what a way to let us know summer is coming! I love this view...



Banks continued his hate relationship that developed a few weeks ago with the ducks that are nesting at the restaurant. They are quite often found in our yard. He has never seemed to let much get to him throughout life- but these ducks make him VERY upset! I find it rather amusing...


And lastly, we celebrated Easter. Oh what a fabulous day. A tear jerking church service followed by lunch with our families. Caleb made the.best.meal. I have had in a long time... Lamb.chicken.vegetables.potatoes. but only in the way Caleb can make them. Our families also contributed to the delicious-ness making it a warm, comforting time of reflection & thanksgiving. Thank you Jesus for blessing us with such support right around our dining room table. I LOVE being able to have others into our home & sharing our lives with those we care about. A perfect way to relax & prepare for a new week!

Caleb's colorful collaboration

Communal table- not as 'sleepy' as the photo depicts!

Happy Easter!


1 comment:

  1. Can I get an exception on my Groupon? I've been out of state ;)

    ReplyDelete